Friday 11 April 2014

Bare Minerals Starter Kit Review

Seeing as I did not do a 'March Favourites', I have decided just to focus in on one thing I am loving at the moment. I am going to review the Bare Minerals starter kit. 

I don't want to jump the gun, but I think this is possibly my favourite beauty item I have ever invested in. Yes, ever. I purchased mine for €49 on the plane back from Madrid. If you are looking to purchase Bare Minerals for the first time, I would definitely recommend buying the starter kit. It's a good way to test it out and it's great value for money! Just for a single pot of the foundation costs £25 in Boots! I got mine in the colour Medium Beige. 

The starter kit includes:


  • Primer 
  • 3 Brushes (concealer brush, flawless application brush and full flawless face brush). 
  • Original SPF 15 Foundation
  • Original Mineral Veil
  • Warmth all over face colour. 
  • The kit also comes with a DVD, which I would highly advise watching. For the first few weeks I just bumbled along taking guesses at how to apply it, but then I overcame my laziness and actually got round to watching it. - It is really helpful and gives you lots of tips and tricks. Aldo turns out I was applying it wrong! 










I really do love this set. So much that I even purchased a second one to keep with me in Malta. 

Primer: I love the way this sinks quickly into my skin. It smooths everything out. Even though there is no visible difference, I feel like it is working. I think if i had never tried a primer before I would be in love with this, but I am already in a commited relationship with my Smashbox Photo Finish primer. 
Brushes: I LOVE THESE BRUSHES. The Flawless Face and Concealer brush are my favourites. The   Flawless Face brush is angled perfectly for Blush and Bronzer. The Foundation can also be used as a concealer. I take the Concealer Brush and swipe it into the lid. No word of a lie, when I dab this onto my face, what I am covering up literally disappears. When I read reviews and people claiming things like that, I just think they are exaggerating, but it really does cover up the places I need. I suffer from eczema around my nose and face and by applying a bit more foundation on these areas with this brush it completely disappears!!! Admittedly, with spending a lot of time out in Malta now, the sun makes my eczema 100x better but, this helps conceal those left over patches. 

Foundation: I have never tried a powder foundation, but I am a huge fan of this! I have really oily skin, particularly throughout the day at school my skin just deteriorates. (I swear the school air is contaminated because anywhere else the oiliness is manageable.) Because of this, for years I have been on the hunt for a foundation that doesn't make my skin oily and I think I have found the solution! My skin gets no where as near as oily as it did when I was using my Liz Earle or Benefit Foundation! If you are looking for full coverage, I don't think you would be happy with this. Even though I am unhappy with what I look like, I still feel like you should be able to see your real skin below the layers of makeup! I love how natural this looks. You really don't need to worry about any horrible lines around your face because this blends so beautifully. 

Mineral Veil: I feel like this just binds everything together. Now I have a tan, I am reluctant to use this as I am worried it will wash me out. However, before now its was great just for finishing up my face and keeping and oil at bay. 

Warmth Face Colour: I have never used anything like this before as whenever I see people wearing a bronze type thing like this they always look like they have been lying in Brown paint. However, a small wipe of this gives you a natural glow that gives you the colour you need to wake you up in the morning! I love this. I think this is my favourite thing in the set. 

Pro's: 
  • IT LOOKS NATURAL!!!!! - For me, this is key in makeup. It somehow magically makes you look better without cakeness! My friends have actually commented that they did not think i was wearing any foundation!! woo hoo
  • Easy to use
  • Portable
  • Good value for money
  • Introduction to new products
  • Does not effect oiliness of skin. If anything it helps to cope with oiliness! 
Con's:

  • If you are clumsy like me (I once dropped a brand new YSL pot of Blush all over my bedroom floor. Would you judge me If i said i cried?) this can be messy!

Overall, If you are looking for a new foundation that is lightweight and perfect for summer, this is it! 

5 comments:

  1. Nice review!!! I like your blog!!
    would you like to follow each other? let me know...
    Besos, desde EspaƱa, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just followed you :) x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your visit!!! I follow you with GFC now!
      Have a nice sunday! and my g+ for your post!!!:)))

      Delete
  2. I got this and I loved it though I felt quite disappointed with the brushes as mine shed loads, hopefully it won't happen to you!
    P.S I'm running a giveaway at the moment if you want to enter:) x
    The Lipstick, The Girl and Her Wardrobe Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really oh no! so far that hasn't happened! ooo lovely giveaway! - Can't beat a bit of Asos! x

      Delete